Match report: Fisher FC v Lingfield

Fisher FC 1-2 Lingfield

Saturday 17th January
Southern Counties East Football League

Fisher fcby Ian Murphy

The game started brightly with both sides creating early chances, the best of which saw Justin Lee pull of a solid save to keep the scores at 0-0 before the Lingers twice struck the woodwork in a spell of early pressure.

Fisher took the lead through debutant Chas Davis after the hosts went forward seconds after Lingfield had struck the post. With several players in good positions, after a bit of a scramble the ball fell to Davis who fired the ball home for his first Fisher goal.

The goal settled the Fish who looked likely to add to their lead, but to their credit Lingfield battled well and continued to press forward to and forced a few more good saves from Justin Lee before the break.

The second half started in the same vein and Fisher created a chance straight from kick off but couldn’t take advantage of the resulting corner. The new look Fish strike force of Davis, Frazer Bent and Jordan Adekunle continued to cause problems for the Lingers, and Bent shot straight at the keeper when put through on goal. The pressure was never converted in to a goal which left Lingfield with a route back in to the game.

In the 65th minute the Surrey side were gifted a golden opportunity when a questionable handball decision was given against the Fish ultimately resulting in a Lingfield penalty. A fiercely struck cross thumped into Jerome Paul. The big Fisher centre-half did not appear to have his arms in an ‘unnatural’ position, the ball looked to have struck him high on the chest, and he certainly made no movement towards the ball with his arm. Nevertheless the assistant flagged vigorously for an infringement and the referee pointed to the spot.

After a short delay as the referee waved away fierce protests from the Fish, Lingers captain Alfie Dean stepped up and fired home the equaliser.  Alfie Roche and Max Rothwell were introduced during the second half and worked tirelessly against physical opposition but did not have the desired effect as they couldn’t help to create any chances of meaning.

The game then broke down in to a scrappy midfield battle with both sides guilty of giving away needless free kicks.

Lingfield were handed another slice of luck seven minutes from time when the assistant referee flagged for a foul by Paul outside the box, but the referee allowed an advantage to the Lingers. The Lingfield attacker continued to head towards goal, but stumbled as he went to strike the ball – the referee then blowing and showing no hesitation in pointing to the spot, which riled the already frustrated Fish support. Again Alfie Dean stepped up, and despite Justin Lee guessing correctly, converted to give his side the lead.

Despite the best efforts of the Fish, some stout defending in the dying minutes ensure Lingfield took the points which move them above the Fish who drop to 18th place in the SCEFL table.

Fisher: Lee, Wise, Tarbie, Musa (Rothwell 69) Paul, Seales, Ekpiteta, Oshilaja, Bent (Roche 73) Davis (Akinwande 83), Adekunle

Subs: Scantlebury, Ajagbe

Goal: Davis 22
Attendance: 102



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s