Match report: Maidstone United v Enfield Town

Maidstone United 0-3 Enfield Town

Saturday 24th January 2015
Ryman League Premier Division

maidstone-v-enfield-town-24by Ken Brazier

Enfield Town set themselves up nicely for the remainder of the season with a fully merited 3-0 win at league leaders Maidstone United on Saturday.

It was only the Stones’ second defeat in the last 40 league games on their Gallagher Stadium 3G pitch. After some memorable performances this season under Brad Quinton, notably against Eastbourne and Margate, this result was arguably the most impressive in Town’s relatively short history.

On a sunny, still winter’s afternoon, Town set out their stall from the start and quietened the 2,000 plus crowd for lengthy periods of the first half. Tyler Campbell won a corner out on the left, Nathan Livings swung it in, and Claudiu Vilcu was on hand to knock the ball in from close range, a goal reminiscent of his opener against Canvey in midweek.

In the 35th minute, Corey Whitely was brought down by Sonny Miles on the edge of the box, but Ryan Doyle’s free kick was comfortably saved by Lee Worgan. A Campbell free kick on the right just eluded Stan Muguo five minutes before the break and then Maidstone had a couple of attacks just before the half time whistle sounded.

Half-time: Maidstone United 0 Enfield Town 1

After the break the game became increasingly fractious as both sides attempted to stamp their authority on proceedings, although it must be said that an inconsistent performance from referee Lennard hardly helped matters.

After 70 minutes, Maidstone’s best chance of the game came and went as Parkinson had a good shot which clipped the top of the crossbar on its way over. It looked as though McDonald might have also got a touch but the referee subsequently indicated a goal kick. Town’s back line, which was superb all afternoon, dealt with a Collin free kick, and then Watt’s header was just over in the 77th minute. Whitely had the ball in the home net ten minutes from time, but was ruled offside.

Then, with the home side committing more and more bodies forward in an attempt to salvage something from the game, Bobby Devyne wrote himself into Town folklore by bagging a couple of breakaway goals in the 84th and 87th minutes on his full debut. Firstly, he ignored offside appeals and finished impressively past Worgan; then a similar ball through was latched onto by the former Brimsdown frontman, and he held off Watt’s challenge and thumped it into the back of the net.

Full-time: Maidstone United 0 Enfield Town 3

Attendance: 2,202.



Read the full report here:
Photo courtesy: Enfield town

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s