Match report: Enfield Town v Billericay Town

Enfield Town 4-0 Billericay Town

Saturday 14 February 2015
Ryman League Premier Division
enfield-billericay 14feb15by Ken Brazier

A determined Enfield Town performance blew away Billericay Town at the QEII Stadium on Saturday.

In a sometimes feisty encounter on a heavy pitch following a pre-match downpour, Town went onto the attack from the off with Bobby Devyne and Nathan Livings going close early on.

A dangerous Jordan Lockie cross from the right into a crowded penalty box eluded everyone, and, at the other end, a Ricky Sappleton effort was just over for the visitors.

After 32 minutes, Corey Whitely expertly made space for himself and finished from a tight angle for the opening goal. Joe Wright in goal got a hand to it but it was a terrific finish. Dernell Wynter shot into Wright’s midriff soon afterwards.

A few minutes later, Billericay centre-back Ryan Scott was rightly sent off for the visitors for bringing down Devyne as the last defender clearly denying a goalscoring opportunity.

Enfield were piling on the pressure by now, and Billericay simply had no answer to the pace of the home attack. After Claudiu Vilcu and Mark Kirby had just failed to get onto the end of an Aryan Tajbakhsh free-kick after a foul by Callum Dunne on Devyne, with half-time approaching Devyne scored a superb second with an emphatic finish. He sent Steve Sheehan in all directions before blasting past Wright.

Half-time: Enfield Town 2 Billericay Town 0

In the second period there was little or no reduction in tempo, and Town effectively made the game safe in the 52nd minute when Devyne got his second of the game with a slightly deflected finish following a superb cut-back from Whitely on the right-hand side following more good work from Lockie.

In the 70th minute, man of the match Aryan Tajbakhsh had another good run and shot, and Tyler Campbell was flagged offside during another promising attack ten minutes later. Eight minutes from time, Billericay registered their first goal attempt on target when Nathan McDonald saved a Glenn Poole free kick, but Town were looking for more goals. After another Tajbakhsh effort had flown just over, a low Michael Kalu ball into the danger area from the right was collected by Lockie, who then cut inside and put the icing on the cake with a cool left-foot finish with six minutes left.

There was still time for sub Liam Hope to have a neat chip saved and, following another good move, Whitely had the ball in the back of the Billericay net only to be rightly flagged for offside.

As the hosts ran out comfortable winners, the memory of the 0-5 defeat at New Lodge against the same opposition back in December was fading fast.

Full-time: Enfield Town 4 Billericay Town 0
Att: 412



Photo courtesy: Tom Scott at Enfield Town

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s