SD has worked alongside supporters for the last fifteen years to make the dream of supporter ownership possible, and the week is about celebrating the people who’ve done it, and the people who have taken or are taking the long journey.
A crowd-funding campaign is already running alongside the campaign, where you can donate to raise money for SD to provide more support for supporter ownership in the future: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/supporter-ownership-week.
There are around 60 matches involving supporter-owned clubs during the week; almost every supporter-owned club in action (unfortunately, Hinckley AFC happen to be one of the few who aren’t!) SD has created a Matchfinder service so that you can watch your local supporter-owned club: http://www.supporters-direct.org/supporter-ownership-week/match-finder.
Some of the key clashes are supporter-owned derby matches:
- Wycombe Wanderers v Exeter City – Tuesday 14th April, 19:45
- 1874 Northwich v Congleton – Tuesday 14th April, 19:45
- AFC Wimbledon v Wycombe Wanderers – Saturday 18th April, 15:00
FanFootage will partner with SD to chart matchday experiences at all 40 supporter-owned clubs; stitching them together to make the largest attempted supporter sourced video ever seen, to showcase what makes matchday at a supporter-owned club so special.
During the next seven days there will also be a series of other events across the country and online, including:
- ‘Unsung Heroes’ will celebrate the work of volunteers at supporter-owned clubs. Clubs will be asked to nominate a volunteer at their club who they feel deserves special recognition, to showcase to the public those people that make supporter ownership just that little bit special.
- A series of online Q&As with industry experts, including: Julian Tagg (Chief Executive, Exeter City FC), Spencer Harris (Director, Wrexham FC) and Gareth Evans (Marketing & Media Director, Hunslet Hawks).
- SD Supporter Hub: Supporter ownership in non-league football. A chance for non-league supporter owned clubs to discuss and share ideas (Sunday 12th April).
- The Pompey Story: Hear the inspiring journey of Pompey’s journey to supporter ownership. Club legend Alan Knight amongst others will speak (Monday 13th April).
- Visit SD at the National Football Museum (Wednesday 15th April).
Further information can be found on the Crowdfunder website: http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/supporter-ownership-week.
Supporter ownership plays an important role in SD’s core work to ensure that supporters have a voice at their clubs, alongside that of establishing supporters’ trusts and campaigning for changes in the rules to benefit the supporters and communities that sustain all clubs.
Keep an eye on SD’s website: www.supporters-direct.org/supporter-ownership-week, on Twitter at @suppdirect or www.facebook.com/supportersdirect. Use the hashtag #SOW15 #Ours