More Everton fans arrested for major disturbance outside Millers pub

Everton FC supporters sought by the Metropolitan Police Service in connection with football related violence have been arrested in a joint operation with Merseyside Police on Thurs 2 July.

millers pubThis is police press release: The six males – aged between 15 and 54 years – were arrested on suspicion of violent disorder after warrants were executed shortly before 07:00hrs at seven addresses across Liverpool, Wirral and Warrington. A 24-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of violent disorder in the Crawley area of Sussex as part of the co-ordinated raids.

All seven have since been bailed pending further enquiries.

The arrest operation follows an investigation by the Met’s Public Order Investigation Branch working on Operation Arrowtip which investigates football related crime and disorder in London.

On Saturday, 16 May at around 18:00hrs disorder broke out between a group of around 30 Everton supporters who attacked a smaller group of Newcastle United and Hull City supporters drinking outside the Millers pub in Caledonian Road, Islington. The teams of all three sets of supporters had played in London that day.

The violence that followed – punching and kicking and glasses being thrown – lasted 12 minutes until police arrived. Whilst no-one reported any serious injuries, a 51-year-old man was taken to hospital for treatment to a head injury. The whole incident was captured by CCTV cameras and also by witnesses using their mobile phones.

An extensive trawl by investigating officers of these sources enabled them to circulate images of suspects with other forces. The assistance of Merseyside Police officers in identifying some of those whose images were circulated led to today’s operation.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Barnes, who leads on Operation Arrowtip, said:

“Operation Arrowtip is the Met’s response to football related crime and disorder. Violence amongst supporters has no place in football; be it before, during or after a match.

“These investigations that lead to operations like today show that no matter where you are from, or who you support, UK policing will work together to identify suspects and take action against them.”

Shortly after the incident, three people were arrested. A 52-year-old man on suspicion of three counts of assault; and two men on suspicion of affray. All three were further arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and are all currently bailed to return to London police stations on dates in late June and mid-July.



Original: http://news.met.policeuk/news/football-fans-arrested-122568

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s