Match report: Deal Town v Fisher FC

Deal Town FC 4-1 Fisher FC

Saturday 8 August 2015
Southern Counties East League

fisher@dealtown8aug15by Ben Westmacott

Under a cloudless brilliant blue sky Fisher fans soaked up the sun as they watched the action unfold on the Kent coast. The Charles Sports  Ground was the venue, home of Kent’s only FA Vase winners, Deal Town.

The final score of Deal Town 4 – 1 Fisher tells just one part of the story. Sadly it is the part that relates to points and league position.

Both teams played well. Both teams know that they could have delivered more. The consensus, according to comments from the crowd, was that the referee’s performance held the game back and it was the double whammy of a red card for Captain Rob Curtis and a penalty to Deal, converted by Ryan Philpott that steered the game away from the exciting climax that was building. At 2-1, it was game on. But at 3-1 and down to 10 men it was not on.

Fisher take plenty of positives home with them back to SE London. The sunshine and comraderie of a seaside visit in August being the main memorables, oh, and the chances on goal…the many many chances.

Tyrell McLeod-Bentley hit the side netting and tested the Deal ‘keeper in the first half and looked dangerous throughout and Max Rothwell scythed through the centre of the pitch with consummate ease time after time. But it was down the wings that Fisher were most dangerous. McLeod-Bentley and Shelton Gooden provided many of the balls in to Luke Haidarovic  but the ‘keeper was invariably one step ahead. Gooden got Fisher’s goal on 38 minutes; a powerful 40 yard run down the right, some tricky step-overs to pass the defence then when one-on-one with the goalkeeper, his forceful low shot into the back of the net was masterful.

Deal burst out of the traps as soon as the the opening whistle was blown and launched an immediate attack on the Fisher goal, but the traveling fans knew it would take a lot more than that to rattle the famous Fish. And it was mostly Fish in the first half, the goal to the home side was against the run of play, scored by Kristin Gregory on 38 minutes.

HT Deal 1-0 Fisher

Deal’s second just two minutes into the second half was born from a rare error at the back. Ryan Philpott lobbed Denzil Kobia in the Fisher goal and Andy Miller slotted home unhindered. Fisher fought back and just 4 minutes later, it was 2-1.

And at 2-1, after Godden’s great goal, the Fish were in the ascendancy and looked for all the world like they were mounting a familiar come-back. Then came the sending off and the penalty. It was difficult to see exactly who was in the wrong, but pushing in the penatly area is never a good idea. It lands you in hot water. And Fish, of all creatures, know what landing in hot water can do.  Philpott scored the penalty.

Character showed through and a goal was coming but as you press ahead with a man down, you leave inevitable gaps, gaps that let in fortuitous goals. They let in one more, 10 minutes before the end, when Charlie Walsh scored from a long throw. The final score of 4-1 looks like Deal were all over us. In truth it was an even game. A good game. An entertaining game.

Notable performances also from fullbacks Reion McFarlan and Veejay Miller who both showed equal ease whether defending or pushing forwards.

Well done to everyone that turned up and did Fisher proud, on and off the pitch;  roll on Monday when we take on Cray Valley Paper Mills at Champion Hill for our first home game of the season.

Come on the Fish!

Ben Westmacott


Read more here:




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s