Match report: Billericay Town v Enfield Town

Billericay Town 3-0 Enfield Town FC

Saturday 15 August 2015
Ryman League Premier Division

billericay v enfield 15aug15By Ken Brazier

There was a feeling of déjà vu for Town fans at Billericay this afternoon as the home side outmuscled the visitors and won the game comfortably, restricting the opposition to just one attempt on target. A red card for Tayshan Hayden-Smith after half an hour did not help Town’s cause, and they were playing catch-up for most of the game.

After Loui Hazlewood had fired wide for Billericay in the 4th minute, Alex Cathline had the ball in the home net a couple of minutes later, but the assistant referee’s flag had already gone up for offside as soon as Stan Muguo had received the ball in the build-up. Billericay then had claims for a penalty when Hazelwood was brought down by Jandir da Cruz.

Ricky Gabriel was booked for a foul in the 26th minute and, from the consequent free-kick and following a couple of unsuccessful attempts to clear the ball, Tom Derry netted with ease for the game’s opener. In the 30th minute Hayden-Smith went into a challenge on former Towner Joe Ellul, was adjudged to have used excessive force, and referee Stephen Bates had no hesitation in showing a red card.

It was an uphill task now and, although Cathline had an effort blocked by Ellul soon afterwards, and Tyler Campbell fired over, the Blues always looked dangerous when on the attack, and Nathan McDonald was again called into action to save from Onome Sodje, who then missed the target five minutes before half-time when well placed.

In added time at the end of the first period, Samir Bihmoutine saved a certain goal with a last-ditch tackle but, in the very next attack, ‘ricay put themselves firmly in the box seat with a simple finish from George Beavan.

Half-time: Billericay Town 2 Enfield Town 0

The game was effectively over as a contest when da Cruz brought down Conor Hubble in the penalty area in the 57th minute. Sodje netted from the spot, and manager Brad Quinton immediately made a triple substitution, Jake Hutchings, Olumide Durojaiye and Bobby Devyne coming on for da Cruz, Bihmoutine and Aryan Tajbakhsh respectively. The pattern of the game didn’t change unduly, however, and the Blues were content to consolidate with a man short.

Just after the hour mark, home ‘keeper Jack Giddins thumped the ball against Cathline and was lucky that the bounce was in his favour but, in truth, ‘ricay were firmly in control. Another Hubble free-kick was saved by McDonald and, although Giddins had to be alert to beat Devyne to a misplaced back-header and then save comfortably from the same player with three minutes left, the points had long been signed, sealed and delivered.

Town now have a chance to get this result out of their system in the Robert Dyas League Cup at Brentwood Town on Tuesday. Corey Whitely (hamstring) and Claudiu Vilcu (hernia operation) will continue to be absent.

Full-time: Billericay Town 3 Enfield Town 0


Attn: 343



Read more here:
Photo courtesy: Tom Scott, Enfield Town FC website

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s