Match report: Canvey Island v Enfield Town

Canvey Island 2-0 Enfield Town

Saturday 29 August 2015
Ryman League Premier Division

canvey v enfield town 29aug15by Ken Brazier

Town’s league record makes wretched weekend reading as they slumped to their fifth defeat in six games at the Frost Financial Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Town were missing Stan Muguo, Corey Whitely, and Joe Stevens (all injured) and Ryan Doyle (unavailable); Aryan Tajbakhsh captained the side. Former Gloucester City and Southend United midfielder Kenny Orenuga came into the side on the left.

The Gulls took the lead on six minutes when Nathan McDonald, under pressure from Dan Gilchrist, made a mistake and Martin Tuohy found himself free to tap in the loose ball, with defender Jandir da Cruz on hand but unable to keep the ball out.

On 11 minutes, Bobby Devyne pushed the ball past Canvey debutant goalkeeper Conor Gough, and was clearly caught by the former Grays man. Referee Bloy, however, decided to yellow-card Devyne for simulation.

Devyne burst through a few minutes later but was blocked by a couple of home defenders. But Canvey increased their lead in the 18th minute with an even simpler goal. Tambeson Eyong burst through from deep and set up Tuohy for his second of the game.

Devyne was proving to be Town’s primary threat and, in the 35th minute, he tested Gough with one of Town’s few attempts on target. A minute later, Gilchrist shot over at the opposite end.

Tyler Campbell came on for Orenuga a few minutes before half time.

Half-time: Canvey Island 2 Enfield Town 0

Arguably Town’s best chance of getting something out of the game came and went when Mickey Parcell’s shot was somehow turned behind by Gough after 53 mintes.

A couple of minutes later, Tuohy had a chance to grab a third but he fired wide following a good cross from the right. Former Arsenal man George Brislen-Hall made his competitive debut for Town when he came on for Parcell after 68 minutes.

Town were reduced to ten men on 75 minutes when forward Alex Cathline was shown a straight red after an altercation with ex-Billericay defender Steve Sheehan after the ball had gone. There was no disputing the decision but, remarkably, Sheehan escaped punishment.

Omarr Lawson had Canvey’s final effort, just off target at the death, with Town well beaten.

Full-time: Canvey Island 2 Enfield Town 0

Attn: 326




Read more here:
Photo courtesy: Tom Scott, Enfield Town FC website

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s