Match report: Chesham United v Enfield Town

Chesham United 2-1 Enfield Town

Saturday 24 October 2015
FA Cup 4th qualifying round

cheshamvenfieldtown 24oct15by Ken Brazier

In reaching the final qualifying round of the FA Cup for the first time in its 14 year history, the club can be rightly proud of the achievement as they were edged out by the better team on the day.

Town started brightly enough, with Corey Whitely firing over early on. Then, after Tyler Campbell had been upended by George Casey in full flight, Claudiu Vilcu’s free-kick was saved by home keeper Shane Gore. Whitely was then just off target again as Town took the game to their opponents.

As the half wore on, however, the home side came back into it and Harold Joseph was forced to head clear following a cross by Dave Pearce on the left. Then in the 19th minute Chesham took the lead. A corner from Pearce was headed home powerfully by Generals’ man-of-the-match Curtis Ujah who timed his run and jump perfectly.

A few minutes later Nathan Livings was on hand to clear from close to Town’s goal line, and then Nick Beasant and Toby Little were off target in quick succession. As Town looked to get back into the game quickly Ricky Gabriel hit the bar after 38 minutes. There was controversy a minute later when Whitely was booked for simulation after going to ground inside the home penalty box.

Town were dealt a heavy blow as the game entered first half added time when Little fired in via the underside of the crossbar following another set piece. It was tough on Town, although Chesham had been the quicker and more determined side up to that point.

Half-time: Chesham United 2 Enfield Town 0

Samir Bihmoutine came on for Livings at half time as Town prepared for an uphill battle in the second period. But it was Chesham who could have extended their lead early on. Firstly, Matt Taylor hit his shot straight at Nathan McDonald, and then the visitors’ keeper kept Town in it with another save, this time from Beasant.

Approaching the hour mark, Town had a nasty moment when McDonald had to backpedal to deal with a back-pass error, and he hacked the ball off the line with inches to spare.

Whitely was crowded out in a promising position in the 62nd minute, and then Gore was quick off his line to reach a through ball before Harry Ottway could take advantage. Time was not on Town’s side and, in pressing forward, they found themselves open to the counter attack. Twice Ryan Blake, who looked lively all afternoon, forced McDonald into crucial saves.

Little dragged Chesham’s final chance to kill the game off wide of the far post, then Ottaway threw Town a 90th minute lifeline when he netted from close range after Bihmoutine had helped the ball on. Only added time remained now and Town knew it wasn’t to be their day when Ottaway was felled in the penalty area at the death but, remarkably, the referee awarded a free kick to Chesham.

Full-time: Chesham United 2 Enfield Town1

Attn: 759

Watch the match highlights on ETFCTV here

Photo courtesy: Tom Scott, Enfield town FC website
Read more here:




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s