Match report: Enfield Town v Leighton Town

Enfield Town FC 4-0 Leighton Town

Saturday 31 October 2015
FA Trophy

enfield v leighton 31oct15by Ken Brazier

Enfield Town eased into the second qualifying round of the FA Trophy with a comprehensive victory at the QEII Stadium on Saturday.

After Town had cleared an early danger from a low cross from Leighton’s Ben Gallant, Mickey Parcell had had a rasping shot well tipped over by visiting keeper Aaron Bufton. Bobby Devyne opened the scoring for the hosts in the 8th minute when he chased a through ball and netted despite the attentions of Leighton skipper James Hatch.

Devyne, Samir Bihmoutine and Ryan Doyle then all had further chances for the home side as the Reds, after conceding early on, were finding it to be an increasingly difficult afternoon.

Corey Whitely had two efforts off target before he netted Town’s second in the 37th minute after being set up by Olu Durojaiye. Then, just before the break, Dernell Wynter appeared to be brought down by Pierre Hazet from behind in the box but referee Rick Bloy waved play on.

Half-time: Enfield Town 2 Leighton Town 0

Aaron Bufton was soon in action in the second period, grabbing the ball just before half-time sub Harry Ottaway could get his head to it, but the third goal wasn’t long in coming. Wynter cut inside and beat Bufton with a shot that bounced awkwardly just in front of him as he dived to his right on 57 minutes.

The fourth and final goal arrived on the hour mark when Whitely put pressure on Hatch as he dwelt on the ball, and tackled him just outside the Leighton penalty area. He was then quickest to the ball as both players got to their feet and subsequently beat Bufton for his second of the game.

Whitely could have gone on to grab a hat-trick, but had a couple of further efforts wide and one blocked as Town searched for a fifth. Harry Ottaway only found Bufton’s midriff after a good pass from man-of-the-match Ricky Gabriel, and then the former Dulwich man hit the woodwork as the game entered stoppage time. Town progressed with David Hughes in goal, apart from dealing with a 77th minute effort from Reds’ substitute Kerran Birch, being largely untroubled throughout.

Attn: 312

Watch the match highlights on ETFCTV here


Photo courtesy: Tom Scott (full match photos here)
Read more here:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s