Match report: Enfield Town v Billericay Town

Enfield Town FC 2-2 Billericay Town

Saturday 7 November 2015
Ryman League Premier Division

Enfieldvbillericay 7nov15by Ken Brazier

Meetings between the two sides are usually highly competitive, and so there was little surprise that the first caution of game was issued within 90 seconds of the start after the visitors’ central defender George Beavan upended Corey Whitely.

Billericay started positively and, on three minutes, the Towners were fortunate when Campbell mishit an attempted clearance and the ball sliced wide of the post for a corner. It took until the 13th minute for the hosts to mount their first significant attack. Harry Ottaway fed Whitely who, in turn, passed to Campbell on the right side of the box, but the resultant cross-shot sailed harmlessly over.

However, the next home attack a couple of minutes later proved to be more fruitful. Ottaway played a through ball to Bobby Devyne, who raced clear of Blues’ defenders before rounding keeper Jack Giddens and slotting the ball into the net. The visitors nearly levelled within a minute, but Mike Fondop-Talom’s low shot from a tight angle drifted past the far post.

The Towners doubled their lead in the 27th minute. Devyne surged down the left wing and centred for Whitley who calmly flicked the ball past the keeper. The visitors persevered, however, and on the stroke of half-time they came within a whisker of pulling a goal back. Following some good play down the left-hand side, the ball fell to Tom Derry but his goal-bound shot was blocked on the line by Jandir da Cruz, and the follow-up shot was blocked by McDonald.

Half-time: Enfield Town 2 Billericay Town 0

Early in the second half, the Towners squandered a great chance to extend their lead within two minutes of the restart when Whitely blasted over when well placed. The visitors came more and more into the game, and were rewarded in the 61th minute when Connor Hubble’s cross from the left was swept home by Teddy Nesbitt.  Buoyed by this goal, the visitors pressed forward looking for an equaliser, and came close in the 84th minute. A corner from the left was swung over to the far post and Fondop-Talom outjumped the hosts defence but saw his powerful header rebound back off the post.

The Towners, by now were sitting back and hitting on the counter, and this tactic almost paid off in the 87th minute when a rapid attack through the middle of the field saw Whitley latch onto an Olu Durojaiye through-ball and break clear of the pursuing defenders, but the striker shot straight at Giddens who saved comfortably.

This miss proved to be costly as, three minutes into stoppage time, the visitors were awarded a free kick 40 yards from goal on the left. The ball was knocked into the box by Shane Cojocarel, Joe Ellul’s header crashed against the post and the ball dropped down to the feet of Alex Stephenson who poked home from close range to level the scores.

Full-time: Enfield Town 2 Billericay Town 2

Attn: 309

Watch the match highlights on ETFCTV here


Photo courtesy: Tom Scott (full match photos here)
Read more here:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s