Match report: Enfield Town v Thamesmead Town

Enfield Town FC o-2 Thamesmead Town

Saturday 14 November 2015
FA Trophy

Enfield v thamesmead 14nov15by Ken Brazier

Thamesmead Town upset the odds with a fully merited 2-0 FA Trophy win at a rain-swept Queen Elizabeth II Stadium on Saturday, which put paid to Town’s hopes of equalling their best FA Trophy run of 2012-13.

The game had barely settled into any sort of rhythm when the Mead took the lead through a fine strike by visiting skipper Derek Duncan, who gave Nathan McDonald in the home goal no chance with a powerful drive high to his left. Some original reports credited to goal to Paul Vines, but Thamesmead’s twitter account has put the record straight.

Enfield struggled to get going, and once Thamesmead had scored, chances at either end were in short supply. Of these, Town had an unsuccessful penalty shout for hands after a quarter of an hour, and Mead keeper Andy Walker dived to save at the feet of Bobby Devyne after 34 minutes while, at the other end Duncan fired high and wide a couple of minutes later. Then, shortly before the break, Walker spread himself to save from Nathan Livings as a miserable half for Enfield came to an end.

Half-time: Enfield Town 0 Thamesmead Town 1

Harry Ottaway replaced Tyler Campbell at the break, but the second period saw little improvement as a spectacle, with Thamesmead content to soak up any pressure that Town could muster. Tayshan Hayden-Smith had an effort that drifted wide on the wind, and Vines put another chance onto the roof of the Enfield net. Nevertheless, the home side were thrown a chance of an equaliser when Michael Aziaya fouled Corey Whitely in the box around the hour mark, but Devyne’s subsequent penalty struck Walker’s right-hand post. Many spectators thought at this point that it was not going to be Town’s day, and so it proved.

Following a free-kick in the 70th minute, Vines tucked away a loose ball to seal Town’s fate. There was no way back now, despite some second half substitutions and Claudiu Vilcu taking up a forward position. Livings fired over and Ottaway had a snap-shot saved by Walker, but the damage had already been done and Mead deservedly proceeded to the next round after a resolute display.

Attn: 270

Watch the match highlights on ETFCTV here


Photo courtesy: Tom Scott (full match photos here)
Read more here:




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s