Match report: Nuneaton Town v FCUM

Nuneaton Town 2-2 FC United of Manchester

Saturday 21 November 2015
National League North

nuneaton v FCUM 21nov15by Steve Wood

FC United ended their seven game losing streak in the Vanarama National League North with a 2-2 draw at league leaders Nuneaton Town but it was seconds away from being even better for the Reds.

United were two goals up through Tom Greaves and Harry Winter but the hosts pulled one back midway through the second half and converted a 94th minute penalty to snatch a share of the spoils. It was a very credible draw for Karl Marginson’s side but they will feel aggrieved not to be returning to Broadhurst Park with all three points.

The Reds shuffled their pack with Dean Stott dropping into the back four and George Thomson making his debut on loan from Chester.

The home side had the first sight on goal but Dave Carnell was equal to the shot from Shane Byrne. FC United were looking a threat going forward and on seven minutes came close to taking the lead.

Winter played in Greaves who saw his shot tipped wide by Jordan Smith. The Reds took the lead six minutes later when a Rory Fallon through ball played in Greaves who rolled the ball past Smith.

The goal led to a number of FC chances with Greaves playing in Sam Madeley who saw his shot tipped wide. Madeley again saw Smith tip wide a cross shot but there was a scare at the other end when the ball somehow squirmed under Carnell, but it was cleared before a home attacker could pounce.

New boy Thomson was having an impressive half and he was close to doubling the lead with a free-kick but he saw the ball rattle the crossbar.

In first half injury time, Nuneaton had a free-kick of their own on the edge of the FC box but Carnell did well to tip the ball over from a Callum Chettle shot.

On the 50th minute, FC doubled the lead when a free-kick was headed home at the far post by Winter for his first FC goal.

The lead was halved nine minutes later when a corner from the right found Robert Duffy who headed into the FC United goal. From this point the game was played mainly in the Reds’ half but it was a resolute FC United rearguard that was holding the home side at bay. There were many shots at the FC goal but these were mostly wide, though the home side did hit a post in injury time.

With it looking that FC had done enough to pick up the three points a ball into the box towards Duffy ended with Stott challenging for a header. The man in the middle adjudged the FC United defender to be climbing and pointed to the spot. Duffy himself took the penalty and sent Carnell the wrong way to level up the game.

This was a very encouraging FC United performance, not only stopping the losing streak but playing some very decent football and certainly a good starting point for the matches to come.

Website man of the match – George Thomson. On a day where there were a number of contenders, Thomson picks up the award with a busy performance full of great passes and tackling.

Attn: 1,167


Photo courtesy of Mark Lee (full match photos here)
Read more here:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s