Match report: FCUM v Telford United

FC United of Manchester 1-2 Telford United

Friday 27 November 2015
FA Trophy

by Craig Phillips

FCUM v telford(2) 27nov15

FC United are out of the FA Trophy after going down 2-1 to AFC Telford United on a cold and wet Friday evening at Broadhurst Park.

The Reds came into the game without a home victory in open play since the end of September and were obviously looking to end that poor run. Karl Marginson’s side took the game to their fellow strugglers from the first whistle, with players chasing everything down quickly and looking dangerous on the break.

This good start was quickly undone though, as a free-kick from the left easily found its way across the face of goal before being turned in by Callum Hassan at the far post.

The goal really took the momentum away from FC United and the visitors had a couple of good chances with Hassan having a goal ruled out for offside before Austin fired just wide of Carnell’s goal.

Midfielder George Thomson was one of the bright sparks of a poor first half for FC United, looking good on the ball and forcing the only real notable save from James Montgomery in the Telford goal.

The poor first half was made even worse before the break as Liam Brownhill went down on the edge of his own box after a challenge with Hassan. The medical team came on for around five minutes as it became clear all was not well and Brownhill was stretchered off in what was and may prove to be a big blow to an already shaky looking defence.

Neither team really got on top in the early part of the second half and the game was there for the taking. A long ball forward saw Hassan challenge Craig Lindfield (who filled in for the injured Brownhill at right back), looking like he’d fouled the substitute to find himself one-on-one with Carnell before a great finish tucked into the bottom corner doubled the visitor’s lead.

Despite being 2-0 down, it was hardly kitchen sink stuff from FC United in the last 20 minutes. It also seemed a little surprising that Tom Greaves was taken off as he’d looked the most energetic of the forward line all evening.

It was a frustrating evening for the men in red and this was evident as substitute Rory Patterson was shown a straight red card after a debatable challenge in the dying moments of the game.

Thomson grabbed what was little more than a consolation goal deep into stoppage time, but there was no time to go for the leveller and FC United were defeated once more.

The Reds must now pick themselves up for a trip to Stockport next weekend, before they welcome high flying Nuneaton Town to Broadhurst Park just four days after in what could be a big week to shape the remainder of the season.

Website Man of the Match: George Thomson – Looked bright on the ball and was inches away from a sublime goal in the first half. Kept working hard and got the goal deep into stoppage time.

Attn: 1,034


Photo courtesy of Mark Lee (full match photos here)
Read more here:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s