Match report: Enfield Town v Hampton & Richmond

Enfield Town FC 2-3 Hampton & Richmond Borough

Saturday 5 December 2015
Ryman League Premier Division

enfield v hampton 5dec15

by Ken Brazier

A fiendish wind played havoc with this game, contributing to five goals at one end of the ground.

Town started with confidence, Corey Whitely having a couple of shots saved by Mark Smith in the visitors’ goal in the first quarter of an hour, and then Harry Ottaway fired just over from Whitely’s pass.

Tyler Campbell drove home the first goal of the game low to Smith’s right after 33 minutes from just outside the box, and Town had the Beavers penned back, with the aid of the wind, for long periods.

Ottaway netted a deserved second goal a couple of minutes before the break after Claudiu Vilcu’s effort was deflected into his path, to give the home side a two-goal cushion at the break.

Half-time: Enfield Town 2 Hampton & Richmond Borough 0

Five minutes into the second half, Nicke Kabamba beat Jandir da Cruz to the ball on the attacking right-hand side of the home penalty area, but Nathan McDonald followed through on the striker, and there were no protests at the award of a penalty kick, which was duly despatched by Tom Jelley.

Moussa Diarra was booked for hauling back Whitely, perilously close to the edge of the Beavers’ penalty area, but the consequent free-kick came to nothing.

Whitely then forced his way into a promising position, but his excellent low cross along the edge of the six-yard box evaded everyone. As it turned out, this was one of the hosts’ final clear-cut chances as the game entered into its final quarter of an hour, although sub Joe Stevens had a couple of later efforts off target.

Hampton earned, but wasted, a number of corners as they grew in confidence, and were close to an equaliser when Kieran Murphy’s overhead effort was clutched out of the air by McDonald in the 77th minute.

Both sides made a number of substitutes in an effort to influence the final outcome, and when McDonald made a good one-on-one stop late on it looked as though Town had ridden the storm.

But in the 90th minute, a wind-assisted corner appeared to be nudged home at the far post but was credited to Dean Sinclair who had taken it and then, virtually straight from the kick-off, the ball was played through and an attempted clearance by McDonald cannoned off a defender and Jerome Frederico reacted quickest to roll the ball into the net to cap an astonishing turnaround.

Attn: 292

Watch the match highlights of previous games on ETFCTV here


Photos courtesy: Tom Scott (full match photos here)
Read more here:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s