Young Motherwell fan gets five months for smoke bomb

An 18 year old has been detained for five months at a Young Offenders Institute and handed a two year Football Banning Order after setting off a smoke bomb during a Scottish Premier League match.

At Hamilton Sheriff Court, the youth pleaded guilty to setting off a smoke bomb in the North Stand of New Douglas Park during a match between Hamilton Academical FC and Motherwell FC on 19 September, 2015.

The court heard that police had seen him setting off an orange and white smoke bomb in the North Stand. He was arrested as he attempted to leave at the end of the game.

The fan was given a further two months detention for breaching bail conditions by attending another Hamilton v. Motherwell match in on January 2nd, 2016.

The Banning Order means that he will be banned from all regulated football matches throughout the whole of the United Kingdom for a period of two years.

Sheriff Smith who sent the lad to prison said: “They are noxious and potentially toxic and are dangerous to those with respiratory problems, particularly asthma.

“You can cause panic to those in the vicinity who do not have knowledge of what has been ignited.

“As people flee the scene this requires immediate action of the emergency services to protect those who are there.

“You knew what you were doing and the courts will take a serious view on this problem which appears to be on the increase.

“Both charges are so serious that they necessitate a custodial sentence.”

It is understood his lawyers plan to appeal the sentence.

[Image shows actual smoke from flare on the day].



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s