Match report: Leatherhead v Enfield Town

Leatherhead 0-3 Enfield Town FC

Saturday 6 February 2016
Ryman League Premier Division

leatherhead v enfield 6feb16

by Ken Brazier

Town battled successfully with a strong wind as well as the opposition and were rewarded with a very welcome three points at Fetcham Grove on Saturday. Mickey Parcell and Phil Lowen were both absent because of illness but Harry Ottaway and Ryan Doyle returned following a rib injury and work commitments respectively. Ryan, in fact, skippered the side.

The Tanners played with the wind at their backs in the first half and, soon after the start, full back Adam Cash’s cross was blown out of play to indicate the difficulty for both sides. At the other end, Corey Whitely had a shot blocked, but Town’s first goal wasn’t long in coming. After a quarter of an hour, an attack down the right ended with Tyler Campbell whipping in a cross, the ball was deflected upwards, causing problems for goalkeeper Louis Wells who missed his punch, and Bobby Devyne was in the right place at the right time to tap in from close range.

Campbell was again the provider for goal number two, this time from the left. In the 25th minute, he beat his man and crossed for Devyne to again convert from inside the six yard box. On the half-hour mark, Harold Joseph was caught in possession and Phil Walsh raced clear, but his lob over Nathan McDonald hit the side netting. Eight minutes later, the same player headed goalwards from Adam Green’s cross only to be thwarted by McDonald’s save.

As the half drew to a close, Whitely had a shot deflected over, but barely sixty seconds later, he then tried his luck with an overhead kick inside a crowded home penalty box, and the back of the net rippled to the delight of the travelling support.

Half-time: Leatherhead 0 Enfield Town 3

There were few alarms for Town in the second period, and indeed they could have extended their lead. After Steve Watt had been booked for flattening Ottaway, just beyond the hour mark Devyne beat the offside trap from Ottaway’s pass and raced clear for a possible hat-trick. He steadied himself once on the edge of the penalty area and placed the ball to Well’s left, but the Tanners’ keeper thrust out his left hand and palmed it round the post.

A couple of minutes later, Ryan Doyle cut inside from the right and fired over, and then a Joe Stevens free kick was headed clear by Watt, who then got to a dangerous ball ahead of Ottaway. With fifteen minutes left, a home free kick by Frannie Collin was safely gathered by McDonald.

Home sub Ryan Mahal latched onto a throw in for the Tanners at the death, but he was crowded out by a combination of Joseph and Samir Bihmoutine.

Attn: 302

Watch Enfield Town match highlights on ETFCTV here

Photos courtesy: Tom Scott (full match photos here)
Read more here:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s