Football update – who’s been kicking off with who

(2) Oxford United v Millwall 2feb16
Oxford United v Millwall

Oxford United v Millwall
Tuesday 2 February 2016

Eight men have been arrested following violence around an Oxford United and Millwall FC match on Tuesday night. Bottles and stones were thrown at Thames Valley Police horses before and after the game, injuring two horses.
Area Commander Christian Bunt said a “sizeable number” of supporters from both clubs went to the game specifically to cause trouble. He added that many further arrests would be made in the coming weeks and a post-match investigation was under way.

The arrests so far are:

  • A 32-year-old man on suspicion of affray
  • A 32-year-old man from London on suspicion of attempting to enter a football match whilst drunk
  • A 19-year-old man from Oxford on suspicion of affray
  • A 17-year-old boy from Bexley on suspicion of affray
  • A 24-year old man from Bexley on suspicion of criminal damage and possession of a Class A drug
  • A 56-year-old man from Oxford on suspicion of affray
  • A 20-year-old man from Wantage on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon
  • A 54-year-old man from Epping on suspicion of assault with injury
Oxford United v Millwall 2feb16
Oxford United v Millwall


Nirvana Juniors v Thurmaston Magpies (U15s)
Sunday 28 February 2016

A junior football match was abandoned when one team’s players allegedly launched an attack on the referee, opposing players and supporters. Two men were reportedly taken to hospital with stud marks to their heads after violence broke out at the under-15s match between Leicester Nirvana Juniors FC and Thurmaston Magpies JFC at Hamilton Park, Leicester.

It is claimed that 10 minutes before the end of the Leicester and District Sunday Juniors’ League game, which Thurmaston were winning 4-0, the Nirvana manager allegedly walked onto the pitch to speak to the referee, who had changed a decision after speaking to his linesman.

“The next thing, our supporters and players were laid into,” said Mr Harley. “They were fly-kicked, and one man was kicked to the floor. One of our supporters had to be taken to hospital with his son after six or eight of them got him, kicking and punching him. The ref was fly-kicked in the ribs and put on the floor.”

Magpies’ coach Elfyn Thomas said: “I’d gone onto the pitch to tend to our goalkeeper who’d got a cut in a collision with one of our own players. When I turned round to look back up the pitch, all hell had broken loose. About six or seven of their players, not the whole team, just flew at our players and supporters feet first.

“I was stood about five yards away from the ref when one of their players launched at him feet first and caught him in the ribs, winding him and knocking him to the floor.

“The ref had done nothing to provoke it and there had been no problem until this happened. The police were called. They took statements and one parent handed over some video.”

A Leicestershire Police spokeswoman said: “We are investigating reports of an affray at about 11.45am on Sunday involving a number of people.

“It is unclear what injuries were suffered. Inquiries are in their early stages. There have been no arrests and the investigation continues.”


West Ham v Spurs 2mar16
West Ham v Spurs

West Ham v Spurs
Wednesday 2 March 2016

Three people have been arrested after West Ham and Tottenham fans clashed ahead of their Premier League game at the Boleyn Ground. A police officer received facial injuries after pint glasses were thrown by supporters of both teams prior to kick off in scenes witnesses described as being reminiscent of football violence seen in the 1980s.

Metropolitan Police said “appropriate and proportionate” action was taken ahead of the match between the two rival London clubs, with clashes expected between the fans ahead of the evening kick-off.

Footage from the scene shows mounted policeman attempting to control the crowd outside of the Upton Park Tube station close to the West Ham stadium, with the sound of glass being smashed in the background. One witness said “Bit like the 80s this evening. Not pleasant. A Spurs mob throwing bottles outside Upton Park Tube.”

Police have confirmed three people were arrested following the incident, included a suspected West Ham fan on suspicion of possession of a made offensive weapon. A spokesperson said: “An appropriate and proportionate policing operation was in place for the West Ham and Tottenham Hotspur match on Wednesday, 2 March.

“Early in the operation, some proactive work by officers led to the arrest of a man (no further details, other than he is believed to be a West Ham supporter) on suspicion of possession of a made offensive weapon. he has since been bailed pending further enquiries.

“There were subsequent reports of anti-social behaviour by supporters, but no disorder. However, shortly before the game kicked off items were thrown, including pint glasses, by supporters of both teams. One police officer sustained a facial injury. There were no significant issues after the match. The total arrests for the operation where three; the offensive weapon arrest and two for affray and assault on police and (both remain in custody).”

West Ham went on the win the game 1-0 thanks to a Michail Antonio goal.


spurs v arsenal 5mar16
Spurs v Arsenal

Spurs v Arsenal
Saturday 5 March 2016

Two men have been arrested as Tottenham and Arsenal fans were seen fighting in the streets around White Hart Lane ahead of their derby match.

Before the game’s 12.45pm kick-off, groups of rival supporters were involved in violent scuffles in the streets surrounding Tottenham’s ground. At least one man was left with blood pouring from his head, while other supporters were knocked to the ground.

Upon arrival, mounted police were greeted with volleys of beer-cans and smoke bombs. Using batons, they separated the rival groups of fans and dispersed the crowd. Two men were arrested in separate incidents.

The North London derby has been troubled by violence around recent fixtures. Ten Arsenal fans were arrested after smashing up seats and tearing out hoardings in White Hart Lane following a Capital One Cup match in September 2015, in which Arsenal came from a goal behind to win 2-1. During a Premier League fixture in November, Tottenham fans smashed up the toilets in Arsenal’s Emirates stadium in an apparent revenge attack.

With the two sides separated by three points and both still in contention for the Premier League title then emotions were always likely to run high. Accordingly, the match was assigned an early kick-off time, partially intended to decrease the amount of time prior to the match in which fans could drink.

A Met Police spokesperson said: “Two men were arrested in connection with public order offences ahead of the Arsenal/Tottenham Hotspur football match taking place at White Hart Lane today, Saturday, 5 March.”

“The two individuals were detained separately, in unconnected incidents, around 12:30hrs at the junction of High Road and Park Lane. They have been taken to north London police station.


swindon v millwall 12mar16
Swindon Town v Millwall

Swindon Town v Millwall
Saturday 12 March 2016

Several arrests were made after Swindon and Millwall fans clashed at the County Ground. Police officers lined the streets following the 2-2 draw.

As fans filed out of the County Ground, an overwhelming police presence, including Metropolitan officers specially drafted in for the operation, formed a protective line between Swindon Town and Millwall fans.

Baying crowds were kept separated before Millwall supporters were escorted to the train station. And Wiltshire Police confirmed three arrests were made during the evening, all for low level offences.

Multiple police vans could be seen circling the Broadgreen and town centre areas in the aftermath of the match.


wolvesvbirmingham 13mar16
Wolves v Birmingham

Wolves v Birmingham City
Sunday 13 March 2016

Six football fans were arrested outside Molineux stadium on Sunday after home side Wolves drew 0-0 with rivals Birmingham City. Police said while the majority of fans were well behaved, disorder broke out as supporters left the ground following the West Midlands derby.

They were detained and an investigation has been launched and police are appealing to fans who might have recorded footage of the disturbance on their mobile phones to get in contact with police.

Wolves and Birmingham played out their second consecutive goalless draw at Molineux after both sides missed chances to go ahead. The result leaves the home side in 12th spot, four places behind City who are pushing for a play-off position.


Related articles:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s